Access Counseling & Support Services

If you have experienced sexual violence, there are a wealth of resources available at Indiana University to support you, help you recover, and, if you choose, pursue legal action.

Counseling and Support Services

In the aftermath of a sexual violence incident, knowing you have support can go a long way toward helping you heal. The organizations listed here can provide counseling and advocacy services.

Office of Counseling Services

The Counseling Center at IU Northwest can provide you with access to a range of counseling options and refer you to outside resources. It is located in Hawthorn Hall, Room 201.

To make an appointment, call 219-980-6741

Employee Assistance Program

If you or a family member works for Indiana University, the Employee Assistance Program can provide you with professional and confidential counseling. Its services are available to full-time employees, medical residents, and graduate appointees and their household members.

To get started, call their 24 hour help line at 888-234-8327

Off Campus

The centers listed below offer comprehensive mental health services in the community, including counseling.


Edgewater Systems for Balanced Living
1100 West 6th Avenue, Gary

Porter and Stark Counties

Porter Starke Services
601 Wall Street, Valparaiso

LaPorte County

Swanson Center
450 St. John Road, Suite 601, Michigan City

Lake County

Regional Mental Health Center
South Campus, 8555 Taft, Merrillville
North Campus, 3903 Indianapolis Boulevard, East Chicago

For help, call 219-736-7200 or toll free 1-888-398-7050

Newton and Jasper Counties

Wabash Valley Alliance
415 North 26th Street, Suite 103
Lafayette, IN 47904

For help, call 765-463-2555 or 800-859-5553

Help with Interim Measures

If in your day-to-day life you are unable to avoid continued contact with the person who hurt you, you can request a change in academic, transportation, and/or work situations. Your request will be reviewed by the appropriate people and may be granted if it is reasonable, even if you haven't reported the incident.

Other advocate services may be available.

Who to Contact for Help with Living Arrangements and Schedule Changes

Dean of Students: 219-981-5660

Office of Affirmative Action: 219-980-6705

Legal Resources

Legal Services

Legal assistance and representation information can also be obtained by contacting the Lake County Bar Association.

For help, call 219-738-1905

Protection Orders

If you need to file a Petition for an Order of Protection, you can do so at the Lake County Clerk’s Office.

Lake County Clerk’s Office
2293 North Main Street, Courts Building 1st Floor
Crown Point, IN 46307