What to Do if You Experience or Witness Any Form of Sexual Misconduct

Sexual misconduct, which includes sexual assault and other forms of sexual violence, including dating violence, domestic violence, and stalking, is never okay, and it is never your fault when it happens to you. If you experience sexual violence or relationship violence of any kind, it's important to get help as soon as possible. 

If you see something that looks like sexual violence, don't hesitate. Call for help. Someone's future could depend on it.

The Sexual Misconduct Resource brochure for IUPUC is available to download and print.

Access the Sexual Misconduct Resource Brochure

Where to Go for Immediate Help

In an emergency situation, your first step should always be to dial 911.

How to Get Medical Help

We understand that seeking help when you have experienced sexual violence can seem frightening and overwhelming. You might not even be sure if you want to involve the police. That's okay. You should still seek medical help as soon as possible to check for injuries and collect evidence in case you do decide to pursue prosecution.

Local Hospitals

Emergency departments are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to help you. They often have specially trained nurses, called Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners, available to make sure you get the right care and collect evidence for a sexual assault kit to help with any police investigations.

Columbus Regional Health

2400 East 17th Street


Volunteers in Medicine

836 Jackson Street


How to Contact the Police

Indiana University Police Department (IUPD)

Responds to incidents on the IUPUC campus

For help, call 812-348-7388 or dial 911

Columbus Police Department

Responds to incidents in the city of Columbus

For help, call 812-379-1689 or dial 911

**The University strives to uphold privacy and confidentiality as much as possible, and only shares information with those who have a need to know in order to respond.  Individuals who desire anonymity in discussing and seeking assistance about sexual misconduct should contact and/or be referred to a confidential employee on their campus.**