IU makes every effort to respond to all reports of sexual misconduct in a timely, efficient, and equitable manner. Here are the steps involved in filing and processing a report.
Making a Report
File a report
An individual who has experienced an incident of sexual misconduct may file a report to any of the following:
- Title IX Coordinator/Deputy Title IX Coordinator
- Student Affairs offices
- Responsible employee
- IU Police Department
Each campus has certain confidential employees who are exempt from reporting sexual misconduct. They are available to listen and offer suppport when you need it, and you can be sure your conversation and information will be kept private.
What happens after a report is filed?
All incidents of sexual misconduct are reported to the Deputy Title IX Coordinator for the respective campus, as well as the University Title IX Coordinator. These Title IX officials coordinate directly with campus Student Affairs, Academic Affairs, and/or Human Resources offices to take the following actions:
- Gather preliminary information
- Reach out to the individual who reported experiencing sexual misconduct (the Complainant) to offer available resources, including counseling, and explain options under university policy
- Implement appropriate support and interim measures, if applicable
- Assist in contacting local law enforcement, if desired by Complainant
The university will then work the Complainant to determine whether they want to move forward to a formal investigation by filing a written complaint.
Moving forward: Determining the Complainant’s wishes
If the Complainant does not wish to move forward with an investigation, the university must determine if a safe environment for the entire university community will be maintained without an investigation.
- If campus community safety is assured, the university will provide any necessary remedial measures and will notify the Complainant that the university’s abilities to address the complaint will be limited without an investigation.
- If a safe campus environment is not assured, procedures will be initiated according to the University Discrimination, Harassment, and Sexual Misconduct Policy.
If the Complainant does wish to submit a formal complaint and move forward with an investigation, the applicable complaint resolution procedures are initiated according to the University Discrimination, Harassment, and Sexual Misconduct Policy.
Email titleIX@iu.edu with any questions you may have.