What to Do if You Experience or Witness Any Form of Sexual Misconduct

Sexual misconduct, which includes sexual assault and other forms of sexual violence, including dating violence, domestic violence, and stalking, is never okay, and it is never your fault when it happens to you. If you experience sexual violence or relationship violence of any kind, it's important to get help as soon as possible.

If you see something that looks like sexual violence, don't hesitate. Call for help. Someone's future could depend on it.

The Sexual Misconduct Resource brochure for IUPUI is available to download and print.

Access the Sexual Misconduct Resource Brochure

Where to Go for Immediate Help

In an emergency situation, your first step should always be to dial 911.

If you are in crisis, you can also call the Mental Health America of Greater Indianapolis Crisis and Suicide Hotline 24 hours day, 365 days a year at 317-251-7575

How to Get Medical Help

We understand that seeking help when you have experienced sexual violence can seem frightening and overwhelming. You might not even be sure if you want to involve the police. That's okay. You should still seek medical help as soon as possible to check for injuries and collect evidence in case you do decide to pursue prosecution.

How to Find a Center of Hope

The Centers of Hope offer support for sexual assault victims and provide treatment in a quiet, compassionate, and non-traumatic way. Most hospitals have one. However, the centers listed below are those that are closest to campus:

IU Health Methodist Hospital

1701 North Senate Avenue

For help or more information, call 317-963-3394 24 hours a day, or 317-962-0263

Eskenazi Health

720 Eskenazi Avenue (near Ball Residence)

For help or more information, call 317-880-8006 24 hours a day or 317-880-9189.

How to Contact the Police

If you are in an emergency situation, you should always call 911. In non-emergency situations, you can also contact local authorities.

Indiana University Police Department (IUPD)

Responds to incidents on campus.

317-274-7911 or 911

Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department

Responds to incidents in the Indianapolis metropolitan area

317-327-3811 or 911

How to Get Support

If you have been the target of sexual assault or relationship violence, you are not alone.  There are many sensitive and well-trained individuals on campus that will support you in this difficult time.  It is never too late to ask for support.  Learn more about accessing counseling and support services

**The University strives to uphold privacy and confidentiality as much as possible, and only shares information with those who have a need to know in order to respond.  Individuals who desire anonymity in discussing and seeking assistance about sexual misconduct should contact and/or be referred to a confidential employee on their campus.**