Help at IU East

Find help at IU East

If you, or someone you know, has experienced or witnessed sexual misconduct, it is important to get help as soon as possible. Remember, it is never the fault of the person who experiences any form of sexual misconduct, and it is never OK.

The IU East campus and community has resources to help and support you or anyone who has experienced sexual misconduct. We can help you get immediate medical services, report the incident, find support, and learn about IU’s policies.

How to get medical help

We understand that seeking help when you have experienced sexual misconduct can seem frightening and overwhelming. You might not even be sure what you want to do. That’s okay. You are still encouraged to seek medical help as soon as possible to check for injuries and collect evidence in case you do decide to pursue prosecution. There are several options to find medical care.

Reid Hospital

The emergency department at Reid Hospital is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you have experienced sexual violence, you can get a free medical exam in during which specially trained nurses will check for infection and injury and collect evidence in case you decide to report the incident to the police.

Reid Hospital is located at 1100 Reid Parkway in Richmond.

For help or more information, call 765-973-8300.

Find support

If you or someone you know have experienced sexual violence, there are resources available at Indiana University to offer support and provide information on the options available under university policy.

The organizations listed here can provide counseling or advocacy services at no cost to you.

Behavioral Health provides free, quality mental health services to students and is located in Springwood Hall, Room 224.

To make an appointment, call 765-973-8646.

At this local mental health clinic, you have access to a wide range of psychological and psychiatric services. Your treatment plan will be personalized to meet your recovery goals. They are located at 831 Dillon Drive.

To make an appointment, call 765-983-8000.

The Genesis Crisis Center at the YWCA services can provide you with no-cost counseling, support groups, advocacy, and temporary housing. They are located at 15 South 11th Street.

To get help, call their 24-hour hotline at 765-935-3920 or 800-886-4508 (toll free).

If you or a family member works for Indiana University, the Employee Assistance Program can provide you with professional and confidential counseling. Its services are available to full-time employees, medical residents, and graduate appointees and their household members.

To get started, call their 24 hour help line at 888-234-8327.

Help with interim measures

If in your day-to-day life you are unable to avoid continued contact with the person who hurt you, you can request a change in academic, transportation, and/or work situations. Your request will be reviewed by the appropriate people and may be granted if it is reasonable, even if you haven’t reported the incident.

Other advocate services may be available.

For help with living arrangements and schedule changes contact:

  • Dean of Students: 765-973-8252
  • Office of Affirmative Action: 765-973-8625

Legal resources

Legal assistance and representation information can be obtained by contacting the Wayne County Bar Association.

For help, call 765-962-3344.

Protection Orders

If you need to file a Petition for an Order of Protection, you can do so at the Wayne County Clerk’s Office.

Wayne County Clerk’s Office
301 East Main Street
Richmond, IN 47374-4200


Indiana University strives to uphold privacy and confidentiality as much as possible, and only shares information with those who have a need to know in order to respond. Individuals who desire anonymity in discussing and seeking assistance about sexual misconduct should contact and/or be referred to a confidential employee on their campus.