Help at IU Southeast

Find help at IU Southeast

If you, or someone you know, has experienced or witnessed sexual misconduct, it is important to get help as soon as possible. Remember, it is never the fault of the person who experiences any form of sexual misconduct, and it is never OK.

The Southeast campus and community has resources to help and support you or anyone who has experienced sexual misconduct. We can help you get immediate medical services, report the incident, find support, and learn about IU’s policies.

How to get medical help

We understand that seeking help when you have experienced sexual misconduct can seem frightening and overwhelming. You might not even be sure what you want to do. That’s okay. You are still encouraged to seek medical help as soon as possible to check for injuries and collect evidence in case you do decide to pursue prosecution.

The Baptist Health Floyd emergency department is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to help you. The hospital’s specially trained nurses will perform a free and private exam in a safe and comfortable exam room.

The hospital is located at 1850 State Street in New Albany.

For more information, call 812-944-7701.

If you are in crisis, call the 24-hour abuse hotline at 812-948-6742.

Find support

If you or someone you know have experienced sexual violence, there are resources available at Indiana University to offer support and provide information on the options available under university policy.

The organizations listed here can provide counseling or advocacy services at no cost to you.

IU Southeast Personal Counseling Services are available to all IU Southeast Students (part or full time) at no fee. Counselors are all professionally trained and can help support you in the aftermath of sexual violence. They are located in the University Center South, Room 207.

To make an appointment, call 812-941-2244.

Counselors at the Center for Women and Families are available to help you both in the immediate aftermath and years after a sexual violence experience. They can also provide you with medical and legal advocacy and emergency shelter.

If you are in crisis, call their 24-hour crisis line at 877-803-7577.

To make an appointment or for more information, call 812-944-6743.

If you or a family member works for Indiana University, the Employee Assistance Program can provide you with professional and confidential counseling. Its services are available to full-time employees, medical residents, and graduate appointees and their household members.

To get started, call their 24 hour help line at 888-234-8327.

Help with interim measures

If in your day-to-day life you are unable to avoid continued contact with the person who hurt you, you can request a change in academic, living, transportation, and/or work situations. Your request will be reviewed by the appropriate people and may be granted if it is reasonable, even if you haven't reported the incident.

Other advocate services may be available.

For help with living arrangements and schedule changes contact:

  • Division of Enrollment Management and Student Affairs: 812-941-2420
  • Office of Equity and Diversity: 812-941-2306

Legal resources

You can obtain legal assistance and representation information by contacting the Floyd County Bar Association at 812-948-6000.

Protection Orders

If you need to file a Petition for an Order of Protection, you can do so at the Floyd County Clerk’s Office.

Floyd County Clerk’s Office
311 Hauss Square Ste 235, New Albany


Indiana University strives to uphold privacy and confidentiality as much as possible, and only shares information with those who have a need to know in order to respond. Individuals who desire anonymity in discussing and seeking assistance about sexual misconduct should contact and/or be referred to a confidential employee on their campus.