IU South Bend Reporting

IU South Bend

When you experience sexual misconduct, you are not to blame. It doesn’t matter when it happened, where it happened, or what the circumstances surrounding the incident were. It’s not your fault.

By coming forward and reporting your experience, you can make a big difference. You can help make our campus and community safer for everyone—and prevent the person who hurt you from harming anyone else.

There are several avenues you can take to report a sexual misconduct incident.

Reporting an incident to campus authorities

If you experience sexual misconduct on campus, you can and should report it to the Office of Student Conduct. While this won’t initiate criminal action, if the accused is a student, it will open the door to disciplinary action through the campus student conduct system.

Other avenues may be available if the accused is not a student.

If you choose to pursue this option, no-contact and no-trespass orders can be issued so you don’t have to face the accused. You can also file a report but decline to pursue an investigation, if that's what you wish.

How to contact the Office of Student Conduct

The Office of Student Conduct is located in the Administration Building, Suite 177, at 1700 Mishawaka Avenue.

For help, call 574-520-5524 or email conduct@iusb.edu.

Report an incident online

Sexual Misconduct & Title IX Coordination

Under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, sexual misconduct is considered a form of sex discrimination. You may file a report of sexual misconduct or sex discrimination with any of the following university coordinators.

University Sexual Misconduct & Title IX Coordinator

Jennifer Kincaid, University Director of Institutional Equity & Title IX Coordinator, 812-855-4889

Deputy Sexual Misconduct & Title IX Coordinator

Laura Harlow, Director of Office of Institutional Equity and Inclusive Excellence, 574-520-5536

Reporting an incident to the police

You should report your experience to the police as soon as possible after the incident. Police will be more likely to be able to get the evidence they need to make an arrest if you talk to them about what happened while the event is still clear in your memory. The police will interview you about what happened and ask you to have your doctor or another health professional collect medical evidence of the assault.

Reporting the incident to the police does not mean you have to seek prosecution. However, the police will be able take action to keep other students and community members safe.

How to contact the police

Indiana University Police Department (IUPD) responds to incidents on campus.

For help, call 574-520-4239 or 911

South Bend Police Department responds to incidents in the city of South Bend.

For help, call 574-235-9201 or 911

St. Joseph County Police Department responds to incidents in St. Joseph County outside the city of South Bend.

For help, call 574-235-9611 or 911

Elkhart City Police Department responds to incidents in the city of Elkhart.

For help, call 574-295-7070 or 911

Elkhart County Sheriff’s Office responds to incidents in Elkhart County.

For help, call 574-891-2100 or 911