IU Northwest

What to Do if You Experience or Witness Any Form of Sexual Misconduct

Sexual misconduct, which includes sexual assault and other forms of sexual violence, including dating violence, domestic violence, and stalking, is never okay, and it is never your fault when it happens to you. If you experience sexual violence or relationship violence of any kind, it's important to get help as soon as possible.

If you see something that looks like sexual violence, don't hesitate. Call for help. Someone's future could depend on it.

The Sexual Misconduct Resource brochure for IU Northwest is available to download and print.

Access the Sexual Misconduct Resource Brochure

Where to Go for Immediate Help

In an emergency situation, your first step should always be to dial 911.

How to Get Medical Help

We understand that seeking help when you have experienced sexual violence can seem frightening and overwhelming. You might not even be sure if you want to involve the police. That's okay. You should still seek medical help as soon as possible to check for injuries and collect evidence in case you do decide to pursue prosecution.

IU Northwest Campus Health and Wellness Center

You can count on the IU Northwest Campus Health and Wellness Center offers to help you after sexual assault, domestic violence, and dating violence. Services available include injury treatment, emergency contraceptive information, and sexually transmitted infection testing and treatment. Services are available to IU Northwest students, staff and faculty.

The center is located in the Dunes Medical/Professional Building, Room 1027 and is open during the following hours.

Monday 7:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m.
Tuesday 9 a.m.–3 p.m.
Wednesday  9 a.m.–3 p.m.
Thursday 11:30 a.m.–5:30 p.m.

For help or to make an appointment, call 219-980-7250

Local Hospitals

The emergency departments at both Methodist Hospital locations are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You can get a free medical exam after sexual violence where specially trained nurses will check for infection and injury and collect evidence in case you decide to report the incident to the police.

Methodist Hospital Northlake

600 Grant Street, Gary


Methodist Hospital Southlake

8701 Broadway, Merrillville


24/7 Resources for Victims of Domestic Violence

Beacon of Hope Rape Crisis Center

Lake County


Gary Commission for Women/The Rainbow Shelter

Gary, IN


Haven House

Hammond, IN


St. Jude House

12490 Marshall Street
Crown Point, IN


The Stepping Stone

Michigan City, IN


How to Contact the Police

Indiana University Police Department (IUPD)

The IUPD responds to incidents on the IU Northwest campus and is located at 3400 Broadway.

For help, call 219-980-6501 or dial 911

**The University strives to uphold privacy and confidentiality as much as possible, and only shares information with those who have a need to know in order to respond.  Individuals who desire anonymity in discussing and seeking assistance about sexual misconduct should contact and/or be referred to a confidential employee on their campus.**