Help at IU South Bend

Find help at IU South Bend

If you, or someone you know, has experienced or witnessed sexual misconduct, it is important to get help as soon as possible. Remember, it is never the fault of the person who experiences any form of sexual misconduct, and it is never OK.

The South Bend campus and community has resources to help and support you or anyone who has experienced sexual misconduct. We can help you get immediate medical services, report the incident, find support, and learn about IU’s policies.

How to get medical help

We understand that seeking help when you have experienced sexual misconduct can seem frightening and overwhelming. You might not even be sure what you want to do. That’s okay. You are still encouraged to seek medical help as soon as possible to check for injuries and collect evidence in case you do decide to pursue prosecution. There are several options to find medical care.

You can rely on S-O-S for free medical and legal advocacy. Their counselors will also accompany you to the hospital and/or police station. They can also help you recover through free counseling and support groups.

For help, call their 24-Hour Crisis Line at 574-289-HELP (4357).

Local hospitals

Hospital emergency departments are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year to help you. They often have specially trained nurses, called Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners, available to make sure you get the right care and collect evidence for a sexual assault kit to help with any police investigations.

615 N. Michigan St., South Bend


5215 Holy Cross Parkway, Mishawaka


Find support

If you or someone you know have experienced sexual violence, there are resources available at Indiana University to offer support and provide information on the options available under university policy.

The organizations listed here can provide counseling or advocacy services at no cost to you.

The Student Counseling Center can provide you with free and confidential help after a sexual violence incident. They are located in the Administration Building in Room 175.

To make an appointment, call 574-520-4125

S-O-S can provide you with free individual and group counseling and also offers a 24-hour Crisis Line and free medical and legal advocacy. They are located at 533 North Niles Avenue.

If you are in crisis, call their 24-hour crisis line at 574-289-HELP (4357).

To make an appointment, call 574-234-6900.

If you or a family member works for Indiana University, the Employee Assistance Program can provide you with professional and confidential counseling. Its services are available to full-time employees, medical residents, and graduate appointees and their household members.

To get started, call their 24 hour help line at 888-234-8327.

Help with interim measures

If in your day-to-day life you are unable to avoid continued contact with the person who hurt you, you can request a change in academic, living, transportation, and/or work situations. Your request will be reviewed by the appropriate people and may be granted if it is reasonable, even if you haven’t reported the incident.

Other advocate services may be available.

For help with living arrangements and schedule changes, contact:

  • Dean of Students: 574-520-4477
  • Office of Affirmative Action and Campus Diversity: 574-520-4524

Legal resources

You can obtain legal assistance and representation information by contacting the St Joseph County Bar Association or the Elkhart City Bar Association.

St. Joseph County Bar Association: 574-235-9657

Elkhart County Bar Association: 574-294-7491

Elkhart County Victim Assistance Services

As a division of the Prosecutor’s Office, they can function as your liaison between prosecutors and law enforcement, and provide referrals for a variety of services.

For help, call 574-523-2237.

Protection Orders

S-O-S Family Justice Center can assist you in obtaining a protective order. You can also do so at the St. Joseph or the Elkhart County Clerk’s Office.

S-O-S Family Justice Center of St. Joseph County
533 North Niles Avenue


Indiana University strives to uphold privacy and confidentiality as much as possible, and only shares information with those who have a need to know in order to respond. Individuals who desire anonymity in discussing and seeking assistance about sexual misconduct should contact and/or be referred to a confidential employee on their campus.